Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Let's go way back...July 4, 2004

One day in June Brock Lyle got an email from a girl he had never met. She was from Stanford 1st ward and she was trying to get a group together to go see "Much Ado About Nothing" at Shakespeare in the Park. Brock didn't know this Karren Thomas, but he did like "Much Ado" so he decided to show up anyway. At the play he met a few new people that he really liked: Karren Thomas and Dave Marble.

On July 3rd Brock went out swing dancing with his new friend, Dave. They stayed out so late Brock slept in and missed his ward, Stanford 2nd, so he decided that just this once he would attend the Stanford 1st ward. I had planned on visiting Karren's ward at some point during the summer, and now seemed as good a time as any. I sat next to Karren and Brock sat in front of her...you can see where this is going.

Karren, feeling the pull of her matchmaking insticts, tapped Brock on the shoulder. "Brock, I'd like you to meet my sister, Laura." He turned around, ready to smile and be polite, and did an actual, visually pleasing, double-take. Brock thought, "I like she way she smiles with her eyes." I thought, "Wow, his eyes are blue!" We shook hands and the meeting started. We each spent the entire meeting positioning ourselves so we could see the other.

The meeting ended and it seems like we basically ran to each other and started talking, anxious to improve the acquaintance as soon as possible. (I think I had a friend with me that day, so I must have ditched her-sorry Tasha!) We talked all the way out of the chapel, down the hall, and all the way through Sunday School. We had to pause for a while when the teacher asked Brock to read a scripture. He read beautifully, his voice clear and musical. I remember being very impressed. We were both amazed when we laughed at all the same things. Once he began quoting a movie and I finished it for him. He turned to look me, impressed and laughing.

At the end of the meeting he asked if I knew how to play golf. (I don't remember how it came up, but I think they were actually talking about golf in the lesson. Odd.) I told him I didn't know how, but, yes, I would like to learn. He promptly offered to be my golf instructor and I laughingly agreed. Naturally we had to exchange numbers, else how would I ever get a lesson? I remember looking down at the slip of paper he had given me and admiring his name and handwriting.
"Brock Lyle..."

I danced my way to Relief Society and showed Karren what her efforts had produced. She was pleased. She told me she had been very impressed with him that night at the play and thought we might have a lot in common. I really, really wanted him to call me...

2 comments:

Alli said...

Laura, you make me laugh

kt said...

Hmm, you have it mostly right :) I just sent a general email out about the shakespeare in the park with the option of grabbing dinner beforehand. Brock and one other guy Jonathan met me for Greek food and Brock and I basically talked the whole time about Paris, architecture, etc. (poor Jonathan) and I was definitely impressed.

I also just introduced him to be polite - I had no idea until I sat down for Sacrament Meeting. Then I thought about it, and I liked the idea!!!