We found the prettiest beach just outside Mendocino. It was all rocks and tiny waves. We walked along it for a few minutes and then headed into the downtown to find a place to eat. There weren't a lot to choose from anyway, this was such a small town, but most places were closed for the Fourth. We had probably driven down every street in town before we found a tiny garden restaurant called "Lu's kitchen."
Lu herself had a tiny one-room hut in the garden and tables all around. You walked up to the window and ordered your food (I had a Greek Quesadilla and Brock had a Tostaco with vegetarian sausage sauce). She whipped it all up for you and then you sat in the garden, listening to the brass band playing patriotic anthems. We called Brock's Dad, but just as he figured out who he was talking to, an Air-raid siren went off. I was furious, but Brock laughed until he almost choked on his dinner.
After dinner we realized we hadn't made a bathroom stop in over four hours and it was about time we found one. A few blocks away we stepped inside an ice cream parlor and after using their restroom, we ordered an ice cream to share. Brock had to try their Blackberry Chip (dark chocolate chips in fresh Blackberry ice cream). I had been pretty set on Mint Chip, but after tasting the Blackberry, I gave in. It was absolutely blissful! We took it on a cone and began our drive home.
This time we took Highway 1 most of the way down, only turning at 116 to get back to 101 near Santa Rosa. Once again the drive was stunning. There were cliffs that terrified me and cows that wandered into the street, blissfully unaware that breaking through their fence might be dangerous. We saw vineyards everywhere, so that sometimes it looked like Tuscany. Very lovely!
We got to Sausalito just as after dark. We parked and settled in just in time to see the fireworks go off over pier 39. The show was beautiful. I love fireworks and I think we got to see one of the best displays in the bay area. We were across the bay from it, and the there was a twenty second lag between the lights and the booming. From there we raced home and curled up on our hide-a-bed to watch "Independence Day" as we fell asleep.
Four hours each way, with a stop for dinner and fireworks at the end. The trip took nine and a half hours start to finish. It was an absolutely perfect day.
1 comment:
YOU ARE KILLING ME, LAURA! KILLING ME! I am, oh, so envious!
Post a Comment