This was the first time we were together for Brock's birthday (he called me to ask me out for the first time on his birthday two years ago, and I was in Provo defending my masters thesis last year). I wanted it to be specially nice, so I started planning weeks in advance.
I bought his birthday present (a beautiful Marquis dress watch) a month or two before his birthday and hid it away under the bed in a boring looking box. I keep all kinds of things under my side of the bed and I knew he wouldn't think anything of a new box under there. He didn't know what half of it all was anyway. Two weeks before the big day I called around and made reservations. I got us a private booth (complete with celebratory "cider" package) at the Melting Pot in San Jose. Brock loves Fondu and we hadn't had it in a while.
Then I called Dad and, after some discussion, he helped me find a fabulous deal at the Dolce Hayes Mansion. It's a historical, giant of a house that is usually used as a conference center and restaurant, but you can stay there as well. They were having a special "bed-and-breakfast" deal for a very good price and I jumped at it. The hotel agreed to give us a room in the mansion if possible, but if they were too full, we'd get a room with a view of the mansion. I planned for us to stay one night and just have a little get-away.
Brock knew nothing about any of this, of course. He was very good and didn't even ask (he loves to be surprised), though I was having a hard time NOT telling him all about it.
How did the amazing day go? Stay tuned...
No comments:
Post a Comment