Thursday, June 29, 2006

First time apart

Years ago I went to girls camp as a 2nd year councilor. My experience was not very...pleasant. When we got home I told Mom that I wasn't going back until I was married. I figured a married woman got a lot more respect. Well, I think Mom remembered my saying that. I got married and, sure enough, the very next summer I got a call from her. To be honest, I was delighted. I was no longer in her stake, but they were very short of councilors and if they didn't mind, I didn't mind.

I was really looking forward to camp. I was given the 4th years and that meant a 13 mile hike. Brock and I put ourselves through at least one hike a week until I left for camp. I was ready. I had everything I needed for the hike (an overnight with backpacks), being a councilor (bringing extra everything) and for camp itself. I loaded Brock's car with gear and gas and left at 6:30 AM on a Monday morning. (Camp lasted a week: Monday thru Saturday)

Camp was both a truly wonderful experience that I wouldn't trade for anything and completely exhausting. My girls were all very sweet, the hike was fabulous, everyone was helpful, and the programs and classes were inspired. On the other hand, I got almost no sleep, my calves are rock hard now (I walked across camp five or six hundred times a day looking for stray girls), and my girls seemed to tumble into trouble wherever they went.

If I wasn't talking the JS girls out of giving them extra capers, I was explaining why they were late to a class, or shielding them from the wrath of the kitchen staff. They loved each other, me, camp, and were very obedient, but they just couldn't seem to stay where they were supposed to...out of trouble. I loved them, but they made me tired.

The last night of camp was my breaking point. I had hoped I could restrain my homesickness until I got home the next day, but then I got sick and it all came out in torrents. Mom was there with me and, because I was sick, suggested Brock hitch a ride up to camp the next morning and drive me home. We used the "emergencies only" phone line and got ahold of him. He said he'd be there, and instead of calming down, I broke down. Hearing his voice after a week of never seeing or hearing him was too much. I was hysterical and I hope I never cry like that again. Mom got me to my tent without anyone seeing us and I was calm again when the girls came in to bed. I can never be grateful enough to her for that. Well, Brock came the next morning and in no time we were down the mountain and home. I got the first real shower I'd had in a week and a lovely long nap. I love camp, but I don't think I'll do it again for a while.

I got an email from one of my good friends in my own ward soon after I got back. She said our stake was going to camp the next week, why wasn't I going? I laughed and laughed. Maybe next year, when I've got a grip on myself and won't have a nervous breakdown from being away from my husband for a few days. After all, it was our first time apart in over a year.

2 comments:

gamma said...

I really don't remember that "not until I'm married" caveat; I just knew we were dangerously close to being short-handed this year at camp, particularly when it came to counselors. So when I asked you, I was just sounding you out, and when you were so enthusiastic, I passed your name on to Vicki. I didn't realize she would follow up so fast, since you aren't even in our stake, but I think she was very confident that you would be a good choice. And you were! I know all the leaders were glad to have you there. And I was so happy to have you there in camp; I just wish you hadn't gotten sick there at the end. I'm so glad Brock was able to come and drive you home since you were feeling so ill, and the road home is so moutainous and windy.

elizabeth said...

Laura, my dear. You are ever so cute. No one blames you for loving your husband so much that you can't be apart for a week. Wouldn't it be sad if you didn't miss him? For everyone! You and Brock are absolutely darling together! I haven't heard much about you two in ages but I hope that things are just delightful for you.