Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ropers, the Good Sport

I don't think it ever really occurred to me that Brock wouldn't pass the Bar the first time. I just knew he would.

When he didn't I was furious-really mad. I ranted and raved about how the computer was wrong, and the committee who graded it was evil, and so on. He was calmer about it, though he was a little scared. The day after the scores came out I came home to find him staring at the wall: "This is the first time I've failed anything. I failed!" I told him he hadn't failed because he was going to take it again. The first try was just practice. We talked it out and he felt a little better.

Still, he was very nervous to go back to work at Ropers on Monday. They told him when he first came to work that he would probably have two chances to pass the bar, though no promises. I don't think he really believed they would fire him for not passing the first time-but it was a possibility and it scared him.

On Monday night I came home hoping he was okay, that they hadn't been too hard on him at work. I found him smiling. We went out to dinner and he told me about his day.

Every lawyer in the firm had come by his office and told him that they had failed the first time too. Todd, his boss, sat him down and said, "So, what's the plan? How are we going to tackle this?" Todd even asked him, "Is your wife being supportive about this? If she's not, I'll have to have a talk with her!" (Brock assured him I was being very loving and supportive.) One of the higher level bosses even came in and told Brock that Ropers "wanted him there as an attorney."

Basically, he was told and shown in every way that he had the full support of the firm, no matter what. What a great group! Brock said a huge burden had been lifted. He definitely works for the right firm, that's what!

No comments: