The second day of our trip (Saturday) we got up at our own pace. The only place we had to be was our reservation for lunch on the pier, so we had the morning to do whatever we felt like.
We got some rolls and fruit for breakfast at a little coffee shop in Union Square and then window shopped. We peeked in Tiffany's, Armani, Cartier, and Dior. I got to try on furs and gold watches and Brock even tried on a really nice watch. It was all very beautiful, very expensive, and a lot of fun to look at!
We then took the cable car down to the pier and had a marvelous lunch at the Boudin Bakery. Brock had Macaroni and Cheese with crab for a twist, and I had the classic clam chowder in a bread bowl. We took our time over lunch and then watched the seals bark at people until it was time for the Alcatraz tour.
Alcatraz was really very creepy, but fascinating. The scariest thing about it is that it's a bird sanctuary and they poo everywhere! You have to watch your head and don't ever look up. We did it all! We saw the movie telling the history of the island, walked the path up to the prison, took the headset tour, and then wandered around the island on our own. Some of the stories they tell in the headset tour were horrible, some were funny, and some were very touching. I wouldn't have missed it for anything! I even got a beanie in the gift shop, which was good, because it was freezing out there!
When we got off the boat back at the pier, we headed directly to Ghiraidelli Square for ice cream. Brock got a sunday and I got a banana split. Wow, it was so good! This was kind of our early meal, because from there we took the cable car back to the hotel and changed just in time to get to the musical, Peter Pan. We didn't eat again until ten-thirty, so ice cream was great!
Peter Pan was absolutely fantastic! Kathy Rigby was hysterical and perfect in the role of Peter. The music was fun and well done, the cast was very professional, and the whole show was magic. That was probably one of the highlights of the weekend. I don't know what I expected from Peter Pan, probably that it would be geared toward very small children, but I was blown away by the quality of the show. I highly recommend it to anyone!
After the show we headed to the little pub Brock had hoped would be our late dinner, but they had already closed the kitchens and we had to head out and find some 24 hour diner. It was easy enough. There were three in a row about a block from the pub! We just ate at the one nearest to us and it was fine (we were pretty hungry, so it was all great to us!)
After dinner, as a little surprise, Brock took me over to the Sir Francis Hotel (is that right, Brock?) and we went up the elevator. Sounds boring, but it wasn't! That elevator is made windows and above a certain level, you can see all over the city! We went all the way to the top! I'll admit it was a little scary going up and knowing we were going to have to drop back down again, but what a fantastic view! And a great way to end the evening!
2 comments:
Sounds like it was the Westin St. Francis. We checked in on Sunday (the very next day) and rode up and down those same elevators to the 29th floor several times a day while we were there.
You're right, Mum! That's the place! Lucky you, you got to see that view a lot!
Post a Comment