This is probably the biggest source of tension in our little home. When we first got married we each had a movie collection and there wasn’t a lot of overlap. Maybe that should have warned us that we might have a few differences of opinion, but it didn’t. We were just so excited to share our old favorites with each other. Much to our surprise, this exchange didn’t turn out to be half as fun as we’d expected. We found there were one or two serious differences that we had to deal with.
I like romances, old black-and-whites, and thought-provoking tear-jerkers. Brock only likes select romances, two very specific black-and-whites, and just can’t sit through tear-jerkers. Brock likes action, physical comedy, and slapstick. I like action, but just at the moment I can’t sit through too much violence, I like select physical comedy, and I just hate slapstick.
When new movies come out we tend to be interested in the same ones, but when we go to rent older movies…well, let’s just say no one comes out in a perfectly cheerful mood. I have to admit it was hard on both of us to repeatedly pick out movies and have our adored spouse make disgusted faces (we’ve both done it). Life lessons in patience and understanding are never fun. Still, we’re learning to be more open to each other’s movies. But, really, we just have to learn that we can watch movies by ourselves sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment