When we first moved into our cottage the garden was non-existent. There was this horrible green mass of what looked like pale, fat grass and it filled the entire bed. Brock didn’t mind it, but I hated it. One day, when I had a free afternoon, I went out and pulled the whole thing up. When Brock saw what I was doing he laughed and said we needed to put something else in it now. He didn’t like the bare earth in the same way that I didn’t like the ugly green stuff. (He still insists that the green stuff was just fine.)
So, the next day we went to a nearby garden shop and bought a huge selection of flowers. We chose them very carefully, asking questions of the employees and choosing only perennial plants. We then spent the afternoon planting our new flower bed. We had a great time, got very dirty, and the garden looked much cleaner. What we didn’t count on was up-keep.
Neither of us had time to really garden and care for our new plants, though now and then we watered and weeded them. Before winter arrived half of our new plants were very dead and withered. It was a little discouraging and we decided to let it go until spring, and then try again…maybe.
No comments:
Post a Comment